7 Little-Known Blood Pressure Facts
High blood pressure can lead to stroke, heart attack, vision problems and even dementia. Here are 7 little-known facts that could save your life.
- High blood pressure isn’t a guaranteed part of getting older, but most people find that their numbers tend to climb as they age.
- It often has no symptoms, even if it’s dangerously high.
- If you’re over age 50, keep an eye on the top number in your blood pressure reading. It’s the key indicator of high pressure that can damage certain organs.
- Optimal blood pressure varies from person to person, so be sure to consult your doctor about your target blood pressure.
- Coffee can make blood pressure spike by an average of eight points for about three hours.
- Breathing deeply (about six breaths per 30 seconds) has been shown to temporarily reduce blood pressure.
- Certain over-the-counter medications (like some NSAIDS and cold pills that contain pseudoephedrine) can raise blood pressure.
Learn more about how to manage high blood pressure with our Hypertension Management Program.